You may have white vaginal discharge before or after period. There are several causes of white discharge and it is important to know what’s normal and what is not. In some cases, white discharge may be a sign of serious underlying diseases like vaginal yeast infection or STD that need urgent medical attention. Let’s discuss in details reasons for white discharge before and after periods.
White Discharge Before Period, Thick, Watery, Egg White, Slippery, Reasons, Causes, Meaning
- White Discharge Before Period, Thick, Watery, Egg White, Slippery, Reasons, Causes, Meaning
- Types of White discharge before period and meaning
- Causes of watery, thick, creamy, egg white, white discharge before period
- Thick white discharge before period
- White watery discharge before period
- White discharge after ovulation before period
- Egg white discharge before period
- White discharge before period sign of pregnancy, could I be pregnant
- Clear discharge before period
- White discharge missed period
- White discharge week before period
- Causes of White discharge before period
- White Discharge After Period, Thick, Clumpy, Creamy, Meaning, Causes
- Egg white discharge after period
- White discharge after missed period
- Clear White discharge after period
- Causes of White discharge after period
- Thick White Discharge after Sex
White discharge before period from your vagina is a common phenomenon that takes place throughout your life in the menstrual cycle. It is can be an indicator of normal and a pathological condition in your body including an early sign of pregnancy. There are various types of them. While some women will have no white discharge before period, others will notice a discharge few days or even a week before their menstrual periods.
This may be white, clear, creamy, or clear egg white watery discharge before period. Below we shed light on white discharge before your periods with their likely meaning. Professional examination is important when you realize something unusual.
An increase in white discharge before your periods may be a sign of pregnancy due to the fact that the body will experience allot of changes and will produce more fluids. In this cases, one is most likely to have missed periods.
Missed or Delayed periods with an increase of thick white discharge that may be creamy will indicate an early sign of pregnancy.
Types of White discharge before period and meaning
The appearance of white discharge in the vagina is usually in the form of cervical mucus. It is produced in six stages. This is a normal phenomenon and occurs variably during your menstrual cycle. This is because before ovulation, there is production of a lot of mucus up to 30 times more than after ovulation process.
- The appearance of the white discharge before period is therefore most of the times a perfect indication of a normal physiologic process. However, it is likely to point out the occurrence of other status of the body as outlined in this article.
There are three types in which white discharge that you produce can be categorized, they are namely:
- White milky discharge
- Thick white discharge
- Excessive white discharge before period
White discharge before period is perfectly normal and can be an indication of very few things. You are likely to have this type of discharge some time before ovulation. If the discharge is stretchy and thick, it is very probable that it is a sign of ovulation.
- However, at times a creamy discharge may indicate pregnancy. This is known as leucorrhea. It is completely odorless or has a slight odor.
A thick white discharge can be a real cause of worry although in most cases it is very normal. As your cycle continues, your vaginal discharge is likely to become thicker and thicker. You will experience the discharge during different stages of your menstrual cycle or even pregnancy.
Causes of watery, thick, creamy, egg white, white discharge before period
The presence of excessive white before periods is also very normal. In other times, it might be a sign of a condition and hence you ought to see a doctor as soon as you can. There are various things that can attribute to this phenomenon.
during this time, the levels of progesterone in the body are very high and this leads to secretion more than the normal. If you see heavy discharge 10 to 14 days after the first day of your period, then this is a sign of ovulation hence no need to worry much
it is normal for you to secrete an excess amount of discharge during this particular period, especially during the early stages. During this time, the vagina is producing a lot of mucus to keep the cervix sealed, moist, clean and healthy.
- Sexual excitement
the discharge can act as a natural lubricant for sexual intercourse. They are the same hormones which cause sexual arousal that eventually leads to production of excess mucus or white discharge before period.
if you are under a lot of stress, you are likely to spot some elements of a discharge. This is because stress creates hormonal imbalance and hence has an effect on the amount of discharge. The excess amount of discharge that you produce in stressful conditions is harmless hence you should not worry.
Thick white discharge before period
As alluded to earlier, the discharge of thick white discharge before period can be a real worry but in most cases, is a normal occurrence. The production of the mucus occurs in various stages that can be broken down as follows:
- In 1 to 3 days, there is release of thick white discharge which is also suitable for comfortable fertilization.
- In another few days, the discharge tends to acquire a, gooey texture and structure. It appears milky white cream-like mucus.
- There is then profuse liquid discharge
- There is egg white that is a stage that comes before the real ovulation. This is marked by nutritive, sticky, clear discharge that is highly suitable for providing a suitable environment for the encounter of sex cells.
- White discharge before period becomes thicker following ovum’s emergence from the follicle, in case conception does not take place. Its chemical composition changes under the influence of progesterone, which takes dominance in the second half of the cycle.
White watery discharge before period
A white discharge before period that is watery could be an indication of an infection that are experiencing. These in most cases indicate herpes.
The blisters rom herpes can cause some weeping from time to time and this leads to watery, semi-opaque and occasionally blood-tinged discharge. This occurs if you have sores on the inside.
However, herpes may have other symptoms that include painful experiences. The other reason or indicator for this could be thrush. However, it is very itchy and may smell slightly like yeast. It is however treated using over the counter antifungal drugs.
White discharge after ovulation before period
This can be an early indication of pregnancy. The reason is mucus begins to accumulate around the vagina as a preparation of the actual pregnancy. This kind of mucus has a protective role to thee developing baby as it acts as a plug.
- Apart from that, there is a lot of progesterone. This hormone brings about a lot of lubrication. So much lubrication brings about a lot of discharge from the vagina. This might however not have anything to do with you being pregnant but instead other factors like hormonal changes and dietary changes.
If you are on birth control pills, you are also likely to have a white discharge. This is because the pills have high amounts of progesterone in them that is involved very much in the lubrication and mucus secretions.
Egg white discharge before period
This is produced as a result of increased estrogen production and blood flow to the vaginal area. It is mostly expelled during the early stages of pregnancy. This is an indication of the cervical secretions that have created a protective barrier in the cervical canal. It is expelled by the thinning and dilation of the cervix.
This kind of discharge is known as egg-white cervical mucus or in short EWCM. The thick, sticky nature of this fertile cervical mucus holds onto the semen and this helps sperm to travel safely through the vagina to the egg.
White discharge before period sign of pregnancy, could I be pregnant
If you have officially confirmed that you are pregnant, then you should know white discharge is common during pregnancy. In fact, the quantity of the discharge is only going to increase as your pregnancy advances.
- This happens because a lot of the blood is directed towards that area and the levels of estrogen are increased in pregnant women. The white discharge will be produced in bigger quantities that you are probably accustomed to, but this is normal during pregnancy. Until the actual birth, there will be white discharge in the quantities mentioned above.
Apart from that, another thing you ought to be careful of is the last month of pregnancy, particularly the last few weeks. During that period, the white discharge is going to increase even more, suffering a change in its consistency as well.
- Basically, your body is preparing for the birth process, eliminating the mucus plug that has kept your cervix closed so far. Do not confuse white discharge with amniotic fluid; if you feel a sudden and large quantity of fluid, you should head to the hospital. This means that the body is prepared to give birth.
Therefore, vaginal discharge before and after the menstrual period is normal. Also, white discharge is a sign that you are ovulating and that your body is prepared to conceive.
As for white discharge during pregnancy, this is a normal modification that your body goes through. It might cause some discomfort and it will be necessary for you to wear a protective liner, but it will also help you stay strong and healthy during your pregnancy.
Clear discharge before period
A clear discharge is in most cases an indication of ovulation and it normally comes as clockwork. This is a natural way of body communication to let you know that you could get pregnant and a time to protect yourself. If you want to get pregnant, then this is the right time.
In addition, it often comes with a boost in libido. This is because; this is the time of the month when you are very fertile.
White discharge missed period
It is usually a normal occurrence when you change with monthly cycle. However, if you experience white discharge instead of periods, then this is an indication of several things. It could be taken to mean pregnancy or infections bacterial, viral or fungal. It could also be a sign of a sexually transmitted disease.
- It is wise that you keep an eye on what goes on your body with regards to the menstrual cycle. You should also try to keep a note of what you consider normal because every woman is different and unique.
Leucorrhea is the commonest occurrence in early pregnancy and is considered as a yellowing or white discharge from the vagina. Many pregnant women report having this symptom although it is normally odorless and doesn’t come with any irritation or tenderness, apart from what you would expect from the early stages of pregnancy.
White discharge week before period
Thick white discharge before Period is perfectly normal. This type of discharge is perfectly normal at the beginning and the end of the menstrual cycle. Just before ovulation, the vagina produces a lot more mucous (up to 30 times more mucous than after ovulation).
At the end of your cycle, just before menstruation begins, you may also see thick white discharge. This is perfectly normal and is no cause for concern, provided there is no itching accompanied with the white discharge before period and that the color is white.
Causes of White discharge before period
The reasons or causes to why you have a white discharge before periods can be broken down into:
- Physiological causes
- Foreign body related causes
- Other causes
The physiological causes are related to the normal body menstrual cycle or monthly period. The moment the egg is produced, around the 14th day, you are likely to experience some increase in mucus in your vagina. This goes on till the periods start, it is normal and it is brought about by the body hormones. The discharge usually lacks smell.
- The other physiological process linked to this is pregnancy. You are likely to have a lot of discharge at the onset of pregnancy. Hormonal contraceptives also have a great contribution towards increasing white discharge before period.
Apart from that, unprotected sex can lead to production of a white discharge. This can be seen two or three days after unprotected sex. The semen deposited in the vagina is likely to come out as a white discharge. The vagina also produces mucus and other secretions during sex for lubrication.
- In small baby girls, the possibility of white discharge is due to their mother’s hormones transferred to them. This only occurs in new born babies as the hormones affect the baby while they are in the womb/ uterus.
The foreign bodies in the vagina can lead to production of a lot of white discharge. These are substances that are not normally ought to be there. In women, the most common foreign body is the forgotten tampon.
- Apart from that, non-sexually transmitted diseases also contribute to the basket of foreign bodies that could give you white discharge. They are mainly caused by bacteria, viruses and at times fungi infecting the vagina.
Bacterial vaginosis is a key reason for white discharge in the vagina. The discharge however has a characteristic fishy smell that may be worse after sex or even after periods. It is not sexually transmitted but by overgrowth of the normal germs or bacteria in the vagina.
- To add on the list, fungal attack that leads to thrush is another very common cause. Thrush is brought about by candida species. The discharge in this case is normally very creamy white and sometimes thick or at times watery. It can cause itchiness, redness, discomfort and pain in or around the vagina.
Sexually transmitted diseases are also common candidates of white discharge. The most commonly known ones for this are chlamydia, gonorrhea and trichomonas.
If you notice that your discharge is not smooth but is rather clumpy, then it may be a cause for concern. Especially if the color is more yellow or green than milky white, and has an unpleasant odor, these characteristics may signal anything from yeast infection to sexually transmitted diseases (STD) to atrophic vaginitis.
- Although some of them can be treated with over-the-counter medications, you should still consult the doctor for a proper diagnosis and the prescription of the needed.
Therefore, in as much as white discharge before period might be a cause of worry, you should handle it cautiously as it might be at times a precursor to a serious condition in your body system. The white discharge before period could also be a normal physiological process.
White Discharge After Period, Thick, Clumpy, Creamy, Meaning, Causes
White discharge after period may be thick, clumpy, creamy, sticky depending on the underlying causes. However, a white discharge with no or missed periods may point to early signs of pregnancy. If you have a white discharge after your periods that has a bad smell, then you should have it checked by a doctor. Continue reading below for reasons, causes what to know and what to do at home.
What does white discharge after period mean, with odor, without odor
Vaginal discharge is part and parcel of the vagina. It is secreted from the cervix or uterus. White discharge after period that has no odor and no a smooth texture is absolutely normal.
White discharge after menstural period that has got a bad odor can be very uncomfortable to a woman especially when she is around people. It is an indication of yeast infection or thrush.
Most women contract yeast infection in their life time. When hormonal levels change in a woman’s body, it alters the natural bacteria in the body. Candida albicans take advantage of this and thrive, resulting into yeast infection.
Creamy, clumpy off-white discharge with a fishy smell after period is a symptom of bacterial vaginosis. It occurs when the number of good bacteria in your vagina reduces and the bad bacteria thrive and become dominant in the vagina.
This interference with good bacteria in the vagina can be caused by weakened immune system or most sexually transmitted infections. However, if your creamy off-white smelly discharge is also accompanied by itchiness and a burning sensation in the vagina then you are most likely suffering from a sexually transmitted disease known as chlamydia.
Bad odor from your white discharge after period can also be caused by a tampon that you forgot inside your vagina after your period ended.
Please ensure that you visit your doctor for proper diagnosis of white discharge after period with odor and any other unusual symptoms. The earlier you get treatment the better, because these infections can lead to more serious health issues if left untreated.
Types of white discharge after period
Below are some types of white discharge that may be experienced after periods
- White Milky Discharge
Creamy or milky white discharge right after period ends is a normal vaginal discharge. It mostly occurs during ovulation. Ovulation is the process in which a fertilized ovum or female egg moves from the ovum to the fallopian tube or oviduct in readiness for fertilization by a sperm. This type of discharge is normally stretchy so that the sperms can easily swim in it.
Creamy discharge can also be a sign of pregnancy. It is usually odorless, or it may bear a faint odor. The creamy discharge that is caused by pregnancy hormones is known as leukorrhea.
- Thick White Discharge
White discharge changes its consistency throughout your menstrual cycle. Thick white discharge with a foul smell is an indication of an infection. The following are the most common infections associated with thick white discharge after period;
- Yeast infection: It is caused by candida albicans which thrive when there is an overgrowth of harmful bacteria in the vagina. The thick white discharge looks like cottage cheese. Micro-organism that causes yeast infection is always in the vagina but only become active when the number of good bacteria goes down.
- Bacterial vaginosis: It is a vaginal infection caused by overgrowth of harmful bacteria. The discharge is thick white and has got a foul smell. It is treatable but can increase your chances of getting a sexually transmitted disease or complications during pregnancy.
Egg white discharge after period
Egg white discharge after period is the most fertile vaginal discharge. It occurs 2 to 3 days before ovulation. During this time, the level of estrogen rises and causes the production of this egg white discharge by the cervix.
- This type of discharge can stretch up to 5 cm in between two fingers. It’s springy and stretchy nature is ideal for sperms to swim into the cervix and finally get to the fallopian tube with no difficulties. This type of discharge is ideal for pregnancy to occur.
If you are seeking to have a baby, you need to start having sex or artificial insemination the moment you notice this kind of discharge. Do not check for this discharge just before or after sex because its characteristics may be altered during sexual excitement.
- If your egg white cervical mucus is too watery before ovulation, it means that you do not have enough cervical mucus in it. Do not be worried, you are still fertile. However, if it persists then you should consult a gynecologist.
Lack of enough cervical mucus can be caused by polycystic ovarian syndrome. Your doctor can recommend for you supplements that will increase the amount of your cervical mucus in the discharge. Cervical mucus is very important because it helped the sperm to swim and also nourishes the sperm hence enabling it to survive up to 5 days inside your cervix as it waits for an egg to fertilize.
White discharge after missed period
White discharge after missed period can be a sign of pregnancy depending on how many days your period is late with.
- If it is more than a week late and you had had unprotected sex before your period was due then you most likely are pregnant. You need to take a pregnancy test to confirm if the white lotion like discharge after period delay is a symptom of early pregnancy.
If fertilization occurs and you get pregnant before your next period, progesterone levels will rice in order to support the pregnancy. The increase in progesterone levels will cause the production of thick white or milky white discharge.
Missed period is not always a sure sign of pregnancy. You may also miss your period and get white discharge instead due to the following reasons;
- Anxiety: When you are trying to have a baby you can be very anxious and this can affect the normal operations of your reproductive system.
- Stress: It can cause hormonal imbalance and interfere with your menstrual cycle. It is important to acquire and learn stress management skills.
- Birth Control Pills: Regular use of birth control pills can suppress your hormones and prevent ovulation and your period as well.
- Heavy exercise: Straining your body with heavy exercises can cause hormonal imbalance that will interfere with your menstrual cycle.
Clear White discharge after period
Clear white discharge has got this color because it contains mixture of cells of vaginal epithelium, lymphatic transudates, cervical mucus, microorganisms and secretions, produced by sweat and sebaceous glands.
Clear watery discharge is very normal in women who have a good balance of good bacteria and yeast in the vagina. It is very important because it perform the following roles;
- Flushes dead cells and bacteria out of your body
- It maintains the hygiene of your vagina by keeping your vagina clean and healthy
- It protects your vagina against potential infections.
Causes of White discharge after period
The walls of the vagina, cervix and uterus contain glands that produce discharge in small amounts that is meant to cleanse and keep the vagina healthy. This is what causes white discharge after period. It is produced to maintain the health of the vagina. The discharge becomes clear when ovulation is approaching then goes back to being white after ovulation. It should not have any unpleasant odor.
According to Mayo Clinic, “Vaginal discharge is a combination of fluid and cells continuously shed through your vagina. Normal vaginal discharge helps keep vaginal tissues healthy, provide lubrication and protect against infection and irritation. The amount, color and consistency of normal vaginal discharge varies — from whitish and sticky to clear and watery — depending on the stage of your reproductive (menstrual) cycle.”
Infections or pregnancy can cause variation in the colour, consistency, volume and even the smell of the white vaginal discharge.
Thick White Discharge after Sex
Thick white discharge after sex is very normal. It is cause by the following reasons
- Vaginal Lubrication: Sexual arousal makes a woman produce creamy discharge from her vagina in order to aid in sexual intercourse and prevent friction. It may also be watery or clear in colour. This discharge is produce even after sex.
- Cervical Mucus: This mucus is produced by the cervix. Cervical mucus that occurs after period is stretchy and clear. This kind of discharge is a sign that you are almost ovulating and it helps a sperm to swim to the fallopian tube and fertilize the female egg. If you do not want to get pregnant ensure that you have protected sex whenever you are experiencing this kind of discharge.
- Male Ejaculate: If you have unprotected sexual intercourse then most likely the discharge that comes out of your vagina immediately after sex is not vaginal discharge but male ejaculate. Semen is creamy or thick and white just like vaginal discharge so you can easily mistake it for white discharge after period. See immediately after sex it’s possible that the discharge you’re seeing is not discharge at all.
Thick White Discharge Pregnant
During early pregnancy, most women experience numerous changes in their body. Their vaginal discharge becomes thick, creamy and white in color.
The discharge is usual more in volume as compared to before the woman was pregnant. It is important to have increased vaginal discharge because it keeps the cervix healthy, moist and sealed from pathogens that may get into the uterus through the cervix. When your body gets hot the discharge becomes more watery and comes out in volumes.
The thick discharge will be observed throughout the pregnancy. There is nothing wrong with this kind of discharge during pregnancy as long as it is white or clear and has got no foul smell.
White vaginal discharge is very normal if it is produced in small amounts and has got no smell. You only need to seek treatment from medics when the colour, consistency and smell of your discharge changes.
According to NHS,”Treatment will depend on what’s causing your symptoms, but often involves a short course of medication.”
- Complications like Bacterial vaginosis and yeast infection can cause the smell, consistency and colour of white discharge to vary. Sexually transmitted infections like Trichomoniasis, chlamydia and gonorrhea also interfere with white discharge after period and need medical attention.
Bacterial vaginosis and trichomoniasis can be treated using medication like flagyl, tinidazole or clindamycin. This medication can be administered orally or by injection.
- Yeast infections can be treated using over the counter antifungal creams like butoconazole, miconazole or terconazole. Gonorrhea is treated by injection of ceftriaxone intramuscularly or orally by cefixime. Chlamydia is treated using oral drugs like azithromycin, oracea, adoxa and atridox.
Ensure you take these dosages as prescribed by a professional doctor or pharmacist if you are using over the counter creams.