Penile Eczema is caused when the penis comes into contact with an allergen that may irritate the penile foreskin or shaft. Eczema bumps or blisters on penis shaft that are filled with fluid discharge can be easily confused with STD or STI. Eczema on penis can also cause sores with a constant need to scratch the penile shaft. Also known as penile dermatitis, it a common cause of burning, redness and itchy penis
Penile Eczema can be embarrassing, irritating, and painful for any person that has it, but the good news according to medical research is that this condition should not cause panic as it can be cleared by simple home remedies. However, if symptoms persist, seek medical advice.
As a man, you will need to ensure that you get checked out immediately you notice a rash on your genitals, as Penile Eczema can manifest in a number of ways.
Types of Penile Dermatitis
There exist two main types of penile dermatitis:
- Irritant dermatitis
- Allergic dermatitis
As the names suggests, either irritants or allergens can cause them. Different things can act as both allergens and irritants and which include the latex used in the manufacture of condoms, as well as deodorants used in making soaps and chemicals.
When it comes to the factors that can cause Penile Eczema, you will find that even fabric softeners applied when washing your underwear may be a trigger for this condition.
The symptoms include:
- Skin redness
- Dry and scaly skin
Penile eczema can manifest itself on both the glans and the shaft. When you have the condition, your skin will start to redden, and it may become lighter, especially for men who normally have a dark complexion.
- A rash will start to form on the area that is affected, and it may be followed by a painful sensation, or itching. Your skin could also start to become dry and scaly, and this may pave way for the formation of blisters.
All these are symptoms that will likely cause a lot of discomfort and pain, especially when you attempt to have sexual intercourse.
Depending on where the inflammation is located, you may experience some discomfort when you are attempting to urinate. In case your skin gets scratched, it may break, and this may lead to further discomfort while increasing your chances of getting another infection.
Eczema Blisters on penis
As you probably have noticed on your own, the penis and the scrotum come with many tiny textures and bumps that are completely normal. Lesions that are non-STD related include folliculitis, a skin bacterial infection that is brought about by irritants or friction.
- Blisters appearing on your penis could mean that you have an infection. When you have tiny clusters of painful blisters, it may mean that you have genital herpes. The presence of other types of sores on your penis, whether painful or non-painful may be an indication of syphilis.
In some cases, scabies could be presented as bumps on your pubic region or as bumps under the skin. Small lesions may also be brought about by yeast or allergies. However, eczema may also appear like blister bumps on penis shaft or foreskin. This can be fluid filled with watery discharge and can be easily be mistaken for STDs or STIs.
Eczema on balls
There exist different factors that can lead to a man having dry flaky skin on the skin around the scrotum. To begin with, this problem may occur because the man has dry skin.
- It may also be caused by wearing underwear or pants that are too tight, and thus ends up chafing the groin region, which in turn results in eczema on balls.
Eczema on balls is often characterized by itching as well as scaling. One of the factors known to cause eczema on balls is stress, and has in many cases been overlooked as a fungal infection because of the widespread use of topical agents.
Causes of Penile Eczema
The factors that cause penile dermatitis may range from simple factors to some that are really complex. There are causative factors that are harmless, and there are others that are quite dangerous.
Regardless of the cause, it is vital for the man to ensure that he gets proper and timely treatment. The right treatment will restore the health of the reproductive organ, and ensure that future outbreaks are kept at bay. You should also keep in mind that it is hard to avoid the triggers in some cases.
The core causes of penile dermatitis include:
Wearing garments or undergarments that are too tight will make your skin to become warmer. When the skin is unable to breathe in a proper manner, it starts to become itchy and sore, and from here, you start to see the first symptoms of Penile Eczema
2. Latex allergy
In the last few years, there has appeared a notion pertaining to latex allergy. One of the primary causes of this allergy has been the regular use of condoms.
However, this does not mean that you should refuse to practice safe sex, but you may need to consult with your GP to receive help in picking the right condom for you and your partner.
3. Cleaning products
Bathing and showering products are in the list of the core triggers. These products contain chemicals, which may irritate your skin and lead to redness, itching, and penile dermatitis.
You should only use products that have been endorsed by dermatologists. Such products will contain very few chemicals, meaning that they will be safe for your personal use.
The tightness of your underwear, as well as the material used to make the underwear could be an irritant.
Clothes contain dyes and chemicals in them, which add to this problem.
Although it is the last cause on the causes, it does not mean that it is any less. Men are prone to irritation, which may vary between mild and severe depending on the type of job and exercises performed by the men in question.
Normally it will be very hard for you to stay away from all these triggers, but when you know what causes Penile Eczema, it becomes easier for you to pay attention to the primary irritants, as well as devise ways to avoid them altogether.
According to HealthMds, “Eczema is a skin condition. It is identified by red sores or brown-grey patches that are thickened, itchy, dry, scaly, rough, and flaky, inflamed, and cause skin peeling. It can occur on any part of your body including the skin around your penis. Theory has it that eczema is caused by an overactive immune system that responds aggressively to the presence of irritants”
How to get rid of penile eczema naturally using home remedies
Penile dermatitis is the inflammation of the skin surrounding your glans and your shaft. When you have penile eczema, you can rely on some of the products below to relieve the symptoms that come with this condition.
Some of these ingredients are common ingredients that are found in your kitchen
1. Coconut oil
Coconut oil comes with amazing moisturizing and antimicrobial properties that can help you deal with the penile dermatitis problem.
When used consistently, coconut oil can also assist in reducing scaling, dryness, and redness after using it for a few days.
Ensure you obtain some warm coconut oil and gently apply on the affected area of your shaft as a way to soften skin. It is recommended that you use virgin coconut oil each night before you go to bed to achieve the best results.
Taking an oatmeal bath will help in soothing skin irritation, rashes, as well as itching. Oatmeal also assists in moisturizing the skin around your shaft.
- Combine a single cup of fine powdered oatmeal in your warm bathing water
- Soak the lower part of your body in the bath water for at least fifteen minutes each day
- Try and repeat this remedy daily for thirty days
3. ACV (apple Cider Vinegar)
Another effective natural remedy for treating Penile Eczema is ACV. Apple cider vinegar will help in relieving itchiness and inflammation.
- Combine equal parts of water and vinegar. A cotton ball should be immersed in this solution and used to dab on areas that are affected.
- Allow the solution applied with the help of a cotton ball to sit for the next thirty minutes, before cleaning the entire area using a cotton cloth that is damp.
- Apple cider vinegar remedy should be repeated on a daily basis for the next few weeks for you to notice positive results
- Alternatively, you could choose to consume three teaspoons of apple cider vinegar that have been mixed in a single glass of water at least three times each day
4. Aloe Vera
For many years, aloe vera has been used in the treatment of skin conditions such as penile dermatitis. It helps in restoration of pH levels in the body, while at the same time relieving the itching sensations as well as the irritation of the skin.
Aloe also contains amazing antimicrobial and moisturizing properties.
- Obtain aloe gel and use it on affected area each day for the next few months
- Alternatively, you can choose to drink a few ounces of aloe juice on a daily basis
- The aloe helps promote healthy and natural looking skin
5. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is one of the best and easiest to find remedies for penile eczema. It is an oil that promotes healing as well as provide relief from inflammation and itching, which are some of the symptoms that characterize this condition.
You are therefore advised to ensure you apply vitamin E oil on your skin each night before heading to bed. Alternatively, you may also choose to apply creams and lotions that contain vitamin E.
Including foods that contain vitamin E in your diet such as wheat germ oil, sunflower seeds, corn, and peanut butter may also help in preventing eczema.
Honey is one of those ingredients that are widely used in many homes, and which contain antibacterial and antiseptic properties, that assist in reducing skin inflammation.
- Combine equal parts of beeswax, olive oil, and raw honey. Heat the ingredients once they have been properly combined to produce an ointment.
- When the blend cools down, you will need to apply it on the area with the eczema and then leave it there for a few hours.
- Make sure you repeat this process for a few days until you begin to notice an improvement in the condition of the skin.
Chamomile flowers comes with therapeutic properties known to have a soothing effect on your skin
- Steep two teaspoons of chamomile in a single cup of water for at least ten minutes. You will need to allow this solution to cool down before you can attempt to use it.
- Take a clean cloth and dip it in your solution, ensuring you use it in the affected area for at least twenty minutes. You should ensure you apply the chamomile solution several times each day until the condition of your skin becomes satisfactory
- Alternatively, consider using chamomile cream on the area with the penile eczema. You could also combine ten drops of chamomile essential oil in your bath water and soak the lower part of your body in that water for at least twenty minutes until you begin to experience some relief
Note: you should perform a patch test on your skin-using chamomile to help rule out the possibility of an allergic reaction
Also known as Indian lilac, neem leaves are used in treating penile dermatitis. It helps in fighting various infections while restoring the health of your skin.
- Combine a single teaspoon of turmeric powder with a single teaspoon of sesame oil, and another of ground neem leaves
- The ingredients should form a fine paste, which you should then proceed to apply on the skin surface that is affected, before leaving it there for a few hours.
- Alternatively, you could add neem oil to your bathing water and then soak in this water for at least twenty minutes each day until some relief is noticed.
It is another effective natural ingredients that is used in treating dermatitis due to its well-known antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Measure a quart of water and heat it before adding a single teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Allow this turmeric powder solution to come to a boil
- Give it sometime to cool down before drinking it. The turmeric powder solution can also be used to wash an area that is affected
- Ensure you repeat application daily for the next few months
10. Slippery elm
It is considered to be a highly effective herbal remedy for use in dealing with Penile Eczema because of its high mucilage content that helps in healing and moisturizing your skin
- Obtain a few leaves, wash them and properly grind them to create a paste
- Take the slippery elm paste and apply it on the genital area
- You should allow the slippery elm paste to dry completely before washing it off
- It is recommended that you do this three times each day until you notice an improvement
Penile dermatitis is not a very serious condition, and it is possible for you to treat it at home using the natural elements that have been discussed above. In case you do not get relief after using the natural elements for a while, you should make it a point to visit your dermatologist.
Before choosing and using any remedy, you need to remember that Penile Eczema affects a very sensitive area. You must therefore ensure that the remedy chosen will not harm your skin in any way.
Most sufferers will often turn to the following working options whenever they have an issue. They include:
1. Cold compress
It provides an easy way out for any person that is dealing with penile dermatitis. To prepare a cold compress, you can choose a cloth that has a soft fabric and place it under a tap with running water.
Place the wet cloth on the area that is affected. It should cool your skin and provide you with instant relief by eliminating the hotness and itchiness.
2. Vitamins A, C& D
Vitamins, when used in combination with natural moisturizers or amino acids, they can improve the texture and tone of your skin.
Continued use of the vitamins will also reduce the risks that are associated with your skin, and will in the process boost the response provided by your immune system.
Professional treatment options
These are the options that can only be prescribed by a doctor. They include:
They are quite helpful for reducing itchiness and should be used when you notice that no home remedy is helping you alleviate this problem.
The medications are particularly useful when used before heading to bed.
Emollients are only used when needed but they can also be used daily when long-term treatment has been recommended.
The emollients will keep your skin moisturized and will also ensure that your skin does not break any further or cause additional damage
Topical steroids are recommended when a person has penile dermatitis. The topical steroids will play an important role in reducing the inflammation of the penis shaft.
Your dermatologist will often recommended the lowest strength for the treatment that you need. You are not allowed to consume steroids without a prescription from a doctor as it can cause some serious side effects.
4. UV-light therapy
The therapy is a very rare choice, and is only recommended when the case in question is very severe. With UV-light therapy, there are increased chances of burning, especially when your skin is thin, which could mean that it is also very sensitive.
What can I do to treat penile eczema? If this question has crossed your mind, you need to apply all your effort to ensure that you avoid possible complications.
The techniques used in self-management are quite versatile. However, the techniques cannot be used on their own without being supported by a home remedy or by professional treatment.
You can eliminate redness and itching on your own by:
1. Use latex free condoms
Utilizing latex free condoms will help deal with the problem of latex allergy, which is one of the main causes of penile dermatitis.
You will find that most supermarkets and chemists stock this type of condoms. You may also consider looking for a different contraception method.
2. Stick to cotton underwear
Avoid undergarments and clothing made from synthetic material. You will also need to ensure that you wash your underwear frequently.
When doing your washing, make it a point to use a very small amount of detergent
3. Do not shave on a frequent basis
It is recommended that you avoid shaving on a regular basis. Additionally, you should not wax or utilize hair removal products in this area until you heal completely
When your skin becomes properly healed and is clear, you can use these products only when needed. Do not use them until your skin becomes healed as they could contribute to worsening of your skin condition.
READ MORE ABOUT:
[button color=”red” size=”medium” link=”http://www.alldischarge.org/men/cyst-on-penis-itchy-soft-movable-filled-with-clear-white-puss-cystic-pimple-bumps-treatment/” icon=”CYST ON PENIS” target=”true”]CYST ON PENIS[/button]
Preventing Penile Eczema
When you have penile eczema on your head, it is possible to ensure that this does not spread to other areas. You can achieve this by:
With moisturizing, you have no option but to repeat it a few times each day. When your skin is properly hydrated, it does not flake or begin to peel.
Moisturizing helps in eliminating all itchiness as well as accompanying discomfort. You can use creams and oils that do not contain fragrances or alcohol to moisturize the skin. Products with alcohol and fragrances may contribute to increased irritation.
2. Do not scratch
Scratching and rubbing the skin surface that is already irritated will only lead to increased tears, while increasing your risks of becoming infected.
Men will need to apply additional moisturizer on affected parts as well as use cold compresses on a regular bases
In rare cases, it may be recommended that you use oral antihistamines. However, this must be prescribed by a professional, as consuming them without a prescription could lead to serious health complications for you.
If you cannot prevent scratching, you should consider wearing a light pair of gloves before heading to bed.
3. Breathable clothing
A person prone to getting penile dermatitis will need to breathable clothing all the time. The clothing should have fabrics that allow the skin to breathe, as it should.
This type of clothing will help in eliminating the initial symptoms of this condition.
Whatever the condition of your penile dermatitis, you should not leave this condition untreated. Neglecting it will make it worse.
Below is a video that will help you know if its penile eczema;