Cervical mucus before period may be thick, sticky, watery, egg white, yellowish, brown or even blood tinged depending on the cause or ovulation cycle of a woman. Cervical mucus is a natural semi-fluid that is found in the uterus or cervix. It is usually egg white in color but varies in colors and consistency during menstrual cycle. Increase in hormones like estrogen is responsible for the production of cervical mucus. Continue reading below for a look into egg white cervical mucus, brown, sticky, creamy, blood tinged due to implantation, pictures, causes and what to do at home.
The main roles of cervical mucus is to aid in conception by trapping healthy sperms, filtering out unhealthy sperms and conserving them up to six days. In case of ovulation, the mucus will facilitate the sperms in getting to the Fallopian tube for fertilization.
Although cervical mucus between periods is common, if you get pregnant before your period, some discharge may be an indication of an infection. Unhealthy discharge is green, yellow of grey in color, with a pungent smell and itchy feeling.
Cervical mucus before period if pregnant
- Cervical mucus before period if pregnant
- Difference between Cervical mucus before period and pregnancy
- Watery, Thick, Colored, Creamy Cervical Mucus Before Period
- Blood tinged cervical mucus before period
- Types of cervical mucus discharge
- Cervical method of birth control
- Simple ways of increasing your egg white cervical mucus
- 1. Hydration
- 2. L-Arginine Supplements
- 3. Fruit Juice
- 4. Carrots
- 5. Vegetables
- 6. Herbal Supplements
- 7. Raw garlic
- 8. Cough Syrup
- 9. Evening Primrose Oil Supplements
- 10. Vitamin C
- 11. Flaxseed
- 12. Fertile Cervical M Supplement
- 13. Avoid antihistamines
- 14. Exercise
- 15. Use a Substitute
- 16. Avoid Dairy Products
- 17. Do not Smoke
- 18. Watch out for Chemicals
- 19. Avoid Caffeine
- What to know and when to see a doctor
During pregnancy, the level of hormone estrogen increases and so does the amount of cervical mucus released. Most women experience cervical mucus before period if they are pregnant. This cervical mucus discharge is buttery or glue-like and is called Leukorrhea. It is white or colorless.
When you are pregnant, hormone progesterone which is also known as pregnancy hormone improves blood supply, swelling of the uterine cervix, enlargement and proliferation of its glands.
A thick mucus plug forms on the cervical pharynx in order to protect the internal organs and the growing fetus from external pathogens that may enter the uterus through the cervix.
Difference between Cervical mucus before period and pregnancy
Cervical mucus before period has got different shades of color and consistency depend on which stage of your menstrual cycle you are in. If you get pregnant the cervical mucus will also change in order to serve other purposes like forming a mucus plug to prevent pathogens from getting into the cervix.
- Thick creamy cervical mucus before period is not conducive for sperms. It prevents sperms from getting into the cervix and reduces your chances of getting pregnant. This type of cervical mucus before period has got a higher acidity level that is capable of destroying sperms. It cannot be stretched between two fingers.
Egg white cervical mucus before period is a symptom that you are approaching ovulation. It has got the best acidity level for sperms to move into your cervix to the fallopian tube. This type of cervical mucus before period is elastic and can be stretched between two fingers without breaking.
If you are pregnant your cervical mucus will be different. It increases in amount. This cervical mucus discharge, leukorrhea, is buttery or glue-like.
Watery, Thick, Colored, Creamy Cervical Mucus Before Period
Cervical mucus before period can be watery, thick, colored or creamy depending on your situation. Watery cervical mucus is always a sign that you are approaching ovulation, while thick cervical mucus can be a sign that you have finished ovulation and you are about to start your next period.
However, creamy cervical mucus or cervical mucus that is colored is a sign of early pregnancy. The cervical mucus discharge in the first trimester of pregnancy is usually yellow in color and is called leukorrhea.
Normal cervical mucus despite the color or consistency should not have a foul smell. If it does, then you should visit your gynecologist for diagnosis of an underlying health issue.
Readers may also look at:
Blood tinged cervical mucus before period
Blood tinged cervical mucus before period in most cases is not harmful. Sometimes blood gets trapped in your cervix after your period ends and comes out together with the cervical mucus when you are approaching ovulation period. This is what makes your mucus have a tinge of blood.
- During ovulation, the ovum might rupture the ovarian follicle. A little blood will be produced and when it mixes with cervical mucus it comes out as blood tinged cervical mucus before period. You should not worry about the shade of blood in your mucus. It is normal in most women.
If you experience blood tinged cervical mucus before period but after ovulation, then it is likely causes by implantation bleeding. Implantation bleeding is caused by a fertilized egg that implants itself in the uterine wall. It can take place for 2 days in a row. This bleeding occurs when the egg implants itself in your uterine wall and will last up to 2 days.
- Blood tinged cervix mucus before period can also be caused by cervical trauma. The cervix may be bruised or injured during rough sexual intercourse or gynecological processes. This makes the tissues in the cervix to bleed and stain your cervical mucus.
If you have been exposed to any of the two situations and you notice red blood in your cervical mucus before period, then you should not be worried.
A tinge of blood is normal but if it gets heavier then you need to visit your doctor because it may be a sign of a more serious health issue.
According to new health adviser “The cervical mucus after the implantation may contain some blood caused by implantation, which make the cervical mucus look like pinkish or brownish in color. And, you will also experience an apparent increase of cervical mucus after the implantation. But conditions may vary from woman to woman”
Types of cervical mucus discharge
There are different types of cervical mucus before period and each of them has a special meaning. It is important to observe your cervical mucus in order to know the changes that are taking place in your body. The following is a list of different types of cervical mucus;
- Creamy Cervical mucus just before period starts or after ovulation is a sign of early pregnancy. The estrogen levels are high at this time and contribute to the production of this kind of cervical mucus. It is dense, thick and gel like. Cervical mucus after ovulation is normally pearl white or yellow in color. It is also an indication of infertile mucus that cannot carry sperms.
- Minimal amount of cervical mucus is associated with maturation of an ovum. It is also referred to a dry days.it is produced 1 week before period or 5 days before ovulation.
- Sticky, thick discharge cervical mucus right before period starts is a sign of infertile discharge that is not conducive for sperms. Its acidity level is so high that sperms cannot survive in it. You are less likely to get pregnant when experiencing this kind of discharge.
- Profuse watery discharge is a sign that ovulation is approaching. It is produced even 2 days before ovulation. If you are intending to get pregnant, this is a sign that you need to start having sexual intercourse soon with your partner in order to get a baby. But if you are not intending to get pregnant, you need to be very careful whenever you observe this kind of discharge. Try and void sexual intercourse completely or use condoms if you have to.
Cervical method of birth control
You can use the consistency of the cervical mucus as a birth control method. You need to observe your cervical mucus before period keenly and take not of its changes.
Watery discharge or egg white cervical mucus should make you aware that you are ovulating hence avoids sex completely. Cervical mucus Discharge that cannot be stretched between your fingers is an indication that you are done ovulating and actually nearing your period. So you are safe.
Simple ways of increasing your egg white cervical mucus
Vaginal dryness can be a disadvantage when you are trying to get pregnant. Egg white cervical mucus is the most important cervical mucus discharge.
This is the kind of cervical mucus that supports the movement of sperms through the cervix to the fallopian tube for fertilization. It also provides an ideal environment for the sperms to get nourished and survive in up to 5 days. Egg white cervical mucus will increase your chances of getting pregnant. The following is a list of remedies that you can use to increase your egg white cervical mucus.
Vaginal dryness is mostly caused by dehydration. Water makes up 90% of your fertile cervical mucus discharge. Ensure you always drink enough water daily in order to stay hydrated. But do not over consume water because it can lead to a serious condition known as water intoxication.
According to Mayo clinic “The Institute of Medicine that an adequate intake for men is roughly about 13 cups (3 liters) of total beverage a day. The adequate intake for women is about 9 cups (2.2 liters) of total beverage a day”.
2. L-Arginine Supplements
L-Arginine is amino acid supplements. They produce nitric oxide which is responsible for the improvement of blood flow to the cervix. This increases the production of cervical mucus discharge. It also increases your libido and increases your chances of getting pregnant.
3. Fruit Juice
Natural fruit juices are very important when it comes to increasing the amount of cervical mucus. Fruits like grapes and pineapples increase prostaglandins and pH of cervical mucus and create an ideal environment for the nourishment and survival of sperms as they make their journey to the fallopian tube for fertilization.
- Grape fruit/pineapple
- Clean water
What to do at home
- Wash the grape fruits or peel off the back of the pineapple and slice it into small pieces.
- Put the grape fruits or pineapple slices in the blender, add some clean distilled water and grind the fruits into juice.
- Add honey to sweeten
- Drink two cups of this juice everyday
- Grapefruit juice should not be taken if you are under medication. Consult your doctor first.
Carrots contain beta carotenes that form Vitamin A. Vitamin A is ideal for an increase in production of fertile cervical mucus. You can choose to eat carrots or blend them into carrot juice and drink.
- Clean water
What to do
- Wash the bark of 6 carrots. Peel off the back and dice the carrots into cubes.
- Put the cubes in the blender, add some clean distilled water and grind the cubes into juice.
- Add honey to sweeten
- Drink two cups of this juice everyday
Vegetables are alkaline in nature. They increase the pH level of your vagina mucus and allow sperms to survive ion it for up to 6 days. This is very convenient for women who want to get pregnant. Alkaline foods are goof for the general health of your body
What to eat
- dark green leafy vegetables
- Lima beans
- Citrus fruits
6. Herbal Supplements
Most herbal supplements improve the circulation of blood in our body. Increased blood circulation to the cervical are can trigger sufficient production of cervical mucus. Supplements come in different forms. Some are capsules, tea, or paste. The following are some of the most common herbal supplements;
- Licorice Root
- Marshmallow Root
- Red Clover Blossom
- Ginger Root
- Gingko Biloba
7. Raw garlic
Garlic is capable of increasing the amount of cervical mucus especially when taken raw every day before ovulation.
- Garlic cloves
- A Pestle & a mortar
- A Knife
- Clean water
What to do
- Peel off the back cover of garlic cloves
- Swallow it with a glass of water in the morning on an empty stomach
- Alternatively dice them into cubes using a knife
- Place them in the mortar
- Pound with a pestle to form a paste
- Boil the garlic paste in water
- Add honey to sweeten and drink the juice
- It is also advisable to include garlic in your diet by adding the paste it in your food
- You can also insert a clove of garlic in your vagina and let it stay in there few hours and then get it out and rinse your vagina
8. Cough Syrup
Cough syrup is capable of making your cervical mucus thin and ideal for sperms to swim in. It contains a substance called guaifenesin, which loosens mucus in the body and makes it thin.
What to do
- Take a dosage of cough syrup like Mucinex or Robitussin a few days before ovulation.
9. Evening Primrose Oil Supplements
Evening primrose oil supplement increase the production of prostaglandins which help in thinning the cervical mucus and increasing its volume.
This kind of cervical mucus is ideal for sperms to swim in hence increase your chances of getting pregnant. Take evening primrose oil supplements 3 days before ovulation and stop after ovulation. It may affect the implantation of your baby.
10. Vitamin C
Vitamin C increases blood flow in our body. This helps in increasing the amount of cervical mucus and improves its consistency as well. Do not overdose on vitamin C since it may interfere with the pH level of your cervical mucus.
What to Eat
- Red peppers
- Brussels sprouts
- Green peppers
Flaxseed will increase your level of estrogen. High estrogen level improves the production of cervical mucus that comes out of your cervix. The only advantage of flaxseed over evening primrose oil is that you can use it throughout your cycle because it has got no side effects.
What to do
Add flax seeds to your diet like cereals, yoghurt, or even mix it with flour while baking cakes and bread.
12. Fertile Cervical M Supplement
Fertile Cervical mucus supplement is a type of multivitamin that will help in improve the quality, the egg white like consistency and amount of your cervical mucus.
You should use this supplement if you are trying to get pregnant and you do not have enough cervical mucus when your ovulation date is almost due. It is the quickest solution because it contains a lot of vitamins that are beneficial. These vitamins include Vitamin C, L-arginine and calcium.
13. Avoid antihistamines
Antihistamines are medications that are taken to counter allergies. When you have a flu you are likely to use an antihistamine like piriton (chlorphenamine) or celestamin betamethasone/dexchlorpheniramine), unfortunately in the process of running your nose dry they will also run your cervical mucus dry.
The most harmful type of antihistamine to your cervical mucus are Benadryl or Sudafed. You need to consult your doctor before you use any of these drugs especially if you are approaching ovulation and you really desire to get pregnant.
Exercising regularly improves blood circulation in your body. Proper blood supply to the cervical are encourages the production of fertile cervical mucus during ovulation period.
The glands that produce mucus get more oxygen and supply of nutrients if blood flows properly in the body. The following are some simple ways of exercising your body;
- Take walks or jog around your neighborhood every evening or morning.
- Avoid staying in the same position for too long
- If you are the office, get off your desk and walk around the room a bit
- Invest in a skipping rope and do 300 skips a day for at least 5 times in a week.
- Go for swimming or ride a bike for a few miles.
- Enroll in a gym
- Download simple body and muscles fitness exercise from YouTube and do the routine exercises at least 3 days a week at intervals.
- Keeping doing this simple exercise and with time you will be able to handle more rigorous
15. Use a Substitute
Desperate situations call for desperate measures. You may be forced to use artificial lubricants that are capable of doing the job of cervical mucus.
Fertility lubricants like pre-seed is ideal in case you are experiencing a dry vagina even when your ovulation is due and yet you really want to get pregnant. Talk to your partner about it and let both of you embrace it. There are a lot more other choices in the market.
16. Avoid Dairy Products
Dairy products are not healthy when it comes to the production of fertile cervical mucus. They will thicken the consistency of your cervical mucus and make it difficult for sperms to swim in it.
Their acidic nature may also lower the pH level of the cervical mucus which in turn will destroy sperms. So if you are serious about wanting a baby then avoid all sorts of dairy products.
17. Do not Smoke
Smoking will dehydrate your body and this will affect the consistency of your cervical mucus. It may also lead to vaginal dryness. The nicotine that you smoke will be present in your cervical mucus as well and can lead to cervical cancer. If you are a smoker, find ways of quitting before it affects you majorly.
If you have just started smoking recently then stop immediately before you become an addict. If you have been thinking about starting to smoke because your peers are doing it and you find it cool, then kindly do not go down that road. Just avoid it completely.
18. Watch out for Chemicals
Chemicals are part and parcel of our lives in the modern society. There are several products that women use which have got high chemical content like perfumes, cosmetics, soaps, air fresheners, scented soap. You should avoid washing your vaginal area using scented soap.
Just use clean water only since the vagina is also self-cleansed naturally. This chemical s is capable of interfering with your hormonal levels.
Raging hormones can have adverse effects on your body. Chemicals may also imbalance the pH level of your cervical mucus discharge and make it unfit for sperms to exist or move in it. You may have a hard time getting pregnant.
19. Avoid Caffeine
Caffeine just like nicotine will dehydrate your body. Your cervical mucus is made up 90% water so if you do not have enough water in your body you will experience vaginal dryness of thick cervical mucus that sperms cannot flow in. It also increases the acidity of your cervical mucus which will definitely destroy the sperms. Avoid drinks like coffee, tea, energy drinks or sodas.
What to know and when to see a doctor
The consistency of cervical mucus before period varies with time throughout your menstrual cycle. It can be thick and creamy, profusely watery or have the consistency of the egg white.
If you are keen and observant you can use it to determine when you are most fertile and use it to our advantage. If you want to get pregnant then cervical mucus that has got egg white consistency is ideal for you. If you do not want to get pregnant then avoid having unprotected sex at such a time.
You may not be getting pregnant because your cervical mucus is not enough, is too thick or has got a very acidic ph.
You should visit you doctor if your cervical mucus has got the following abnormal qualities,
- Green, yellow, think or cheesy
- Bad smell
- Itching in the vagina or burning sensation while urinating
- Blood stained mucus or spotting before period
Here is a video on Cervical mucus before period;