Fixed drug eruption is a term used to describe drug reaction that keep recurring at the same site or sites of the body when a particular type of drug is taken. The number of sites may be several or just one. The reaction symptoms may appear as a rash, blisters, pimples, white or red bumps. Below are some remedies to get rid of this condition and treatment.
From a medical perspective, a drug eruption refers to an adverse reaction to a drug by the skin. Many drug-induced reactions are often mild, and will disappear as soon as the offending drug has been withdrawn and is no longer being used.
The above statement describes the simple drug eruptions. Complex or serious drug eruptions can be associated with injuries to organs such as the kidneys or the liver. They can also cause changes to the appearance of your hair and nail, may affect your mucous membranes, and could lead to severe itching on the skin surface.
Fixed drug Eruption on Penile Shaft
Practitioners encounter penile lesions in a various diverse fields ranging from family medicine, sexual health, to urology.
Practitioners need to be in a position to recognize fixed eruptions of the penis while at the same time being in a position to prescribe appropriate treatment in a bid to avoid stress and a possible misdiagnosis.
To fix fixed eruptions of the penis, withdrawal of the medication that is offending, and prescribing the right corticosteroid therapy remains the only viable solution. You may see more on penile sores here sore on penis
Fixed drug eruption on Lips
When it comes to drug eruption of the lips, application of fluconazole is always the prime suspect. Its symptoms mimic those of the herpes simplex infection, as they are in many cases recurrent.
Appropriate tests should therefore be carried out to determine the cause of the lips eruption, as well as to enable the practitioner design the right course of treatment.
Fixed drug eruption histology
Of all skin inflammatory diseases, drug eruptions are not only the most common, but they are also among the ones that are highly biopsied.
For each histology pattern taken by a drug eruption, you will find that there will be a limited number of differential diagnoses and there are various clues available that can be used in distinguishing the eruptions from diseases that come with similar symptoms.
Fixed drug eruption ibuprofen
Most FDEs are related to the use of steroids. But, this is not always the case, especially for people using ibuprofen.
Close to forty percent of all FDE cases that are non-steroidal in nature often have to deal with the use of this drug.
When ibuprofen is the cause, the spots first appear as pink in color before changing to dark red, then brown, and will vary in size, with some being as large as ten centimeters in size.
Fixed drug eruption on vagina lips, Labia Majora, Labia Minora
Triazole antifungal is heavily relied in the treatment of esophageal, oral, and vaginal Candidiasis. The antifungal comprises of a five member ring, with each consisting of three nitrogen atoms, and two carbon atoms that have varying sizes.
Voriconazole and fluconazole are easily absorbed by the blood and thus demonstrate high bioavailability. The bioavailability may have a great impact on the toxicity held by these drugs. You may also see more on vaginal sores here sore on vagina
Fixed drug reaction allergy
It is possible for a person to have an allergic reaction to an FDE even when they are not taking the medication in question.
Over the years, several cases that have been reported of patients even though who have experienced FDE even though they were not taking any medication. The eruption, which mainly took place in their genitalia, was because their sexual partners at the time had been taking a drug that was offending.
The patient that experienced the allergic reaction was therefore exposed to this drug through sexual intimacy.
Skin pigmentation due to fixed drug eruption
It refers to hyper pigmentation caused by a reaction that has taken placed between your skin, and a component that was present in medicine that you are currently taking.
- In many cases, hyper pigmentation takes place in the areas surrounding your face, more so around your mouth, although other body parts could also be affected.
The medication for diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease often cause this type of problems for different types of men and women. In many cases, they will cause skin colored or red, and highly itchy rashes.
- The rashes can be spotted anywhere in your body, and will in many cases required between seven and ten days for them to resolve after you have stopped taking the medication.
This reaction will then begin to fade away, and dark spots will be left in the area that had been affected by the rash.
What causes Fixed Drug Reaction on The Skin
In most cases, only a single drug will be involved in causing this problem, although there are independent lesions that can emanate from using more than a single drug.
When dealing with FDE, a careful history will be needed to confirm that indeed there is a drug that has been taken, and is the cause of this eruption.
Some of the medications that are taken on a periodical basis such as antibiotics are seen to be the primary cause of the FDE.
Upon ingesting antibiotics, some of the symptoms that could be experienced when FDE is starting will include nausea, anorexia, and fever.
How to get rid of fixed drug reaction naturally Fast
Patches and spots on you can may lead to low-self-esteem levels, apart from being highly embarrassing.
FDE causes the appearance of different types of spots in visible areas of the body such as the face, particularly the area surrounding your mouth.
Luckily, you have a ton of potential treatments for you to choose from, a majority of which are natural methods, and readily available at home.
1. Lemon juice
Lemon juice presents a quick and easy solution that can be located from your nearest grocery store, or in your kitchen.
Fresh lemons contain lots of vitamin C, and this comes in handy when dealing with spots caused by FDE. The best part about using lemon juice is that it is easy to apply.
What to do at home
- Obtain your fresh lemon juice and place it on a bowl
- Immerse a piece of cotton ball in the lemon juice present in the bowl and use it to lightly dab on affected areas of your body
- When the lemon juice has been applied, it should be allowed to dry before you can wash the affected area using plain water
- To get the results you desire, you will need to apply this natural and highly effective remedy for at least two weeks
Note: people with sensitive or delicate skin will need to ensure that they dilute the juice with rose water, honey, or plain water.
Lime juice can also be used in eliminating the spots on your body, and should be applied in the same manner as the lemon juice.
However, do not use lemon juice if you happen to have lesions or open sores on any part of your skin surface. You will also need to avoid venturing into the open sun after application of lemon juice, as it tends to make your skin highly photosensitive.
The vegetable drawer in your kitchen is another important source of home remedies that can be used when dealing with spots caused by FDE.
Potatoes, a vegetable that is likely present in your vegetable drawer comes with bleaching properties, which will help in fading blemishes, scars, and spots.
Potato contains starch that is vital in reducing pigmentation. The enzymes in it are also vital in the promotion of healthy skin.
You can apply the potatoes on your skin surface in three primary ways:
- Obtain a potato and proceed to cut it into slices
- take one slice and place it on the spotted area
- allow the potato slice to sit on your spots for a few minutes before washing your face using lukewarm water
- locate a potato, peel and grate it
- scoop a single teaspoon of honey and blend it with the potato that you have grated
- apply the potato mask on your face allowing it to sit for at least fifteen minutes
- use lukewarm water to rinse off the potato mask
- take a single potato and proceed to extract all juices from it
- add a pinch of turmeric powder and a small amount of lemon juice to the potato juice
- the blend from the potato juice should be applied on all the spots on your face
- allow the potato juice to dry before rinsing it
Tomatoes can also be used as an alternative to potatoes using the same processes described above.
Buttermilk also comes in handy in eliminating spots on your body surface. It works in the same manner as lemon juice to eliminate all blemishes that are present without causing any kind of burning sensation on your skin surface
The lactic acid that is present in buttermilk helps in reducing skin pigmentation, while ensuring that your overall skin complex becomes brighter.
Directions of use
- Measure four teaspoons of buttermilk
- Combine it with two tablespoons of fresh tomato juice
- Stir to ensure that the two ingredients are properly blended
- Apply the buttermilk blend to your skin and allow it to sit there for fifteen minutes
- Wash the blend off using warm water
In case you happen not to have buttermilk in your house, you can always immerse a cotton ball in a bowl of milk and then dab it to your skin surface. You should allow this milk to stay there for the next ten minutes.
Make it a habit to repeat the process above two times each day for at least five weeks.
4. Aloe vera
Aloe contains very many healing properties and is a great spots remover. The aloe gel contains polysaccharides, which help in stimulating the growth of new skin cells, and this helps in healing scars and in reducing spots caused by fixed drug eruption or even other allergic reactions that may cause red itchy bumps, rash or spots on the skin.
According to a study published by the Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research in 2010, it showed that aloe gel helped in clearing skin blemishes and spots present on the skin surface, thereby leaving the skin looking clean and clearer.
How to use it at home
- Extract gel from a fresh aloe leaf
- Apply the extracted gel directly to your spots
- Use your fingertips to massage the gel onto all the areas with the spots
- You should allow the gel to stay on the spotted area for at least twenty minutes before you can rinse your face
- Repeat aloe vera application two times each day for a few weeks to help eliminate the discoloration
If the gel becomes messy upon application, you can always use a clean cloth that has been soaked in a bowl of warm water to help remove the mask completely. Aloe treatment should be repeated twice each week.
Sandalwood is another highly effective and reliable home treatment method. It contains natural oils, which help in clearing spots that are located in different parts of your body.
The sandalwood can also add a clean glow to the skin surface.
- Prepare a thick sandalwood paste by combining a single teaspoon of sandalwood powder, a single teaspoon of glycerin, and two teaspoons of rosewater. Honey or milk can be used as an alternative to rosewater
- Scoop the sandalwood paste and apply it in the area that is affected allowing it to sit there for ten minutes.
- Sandalwood paste can be washed off using warm water
- It is recommended that you follow this remedy until you begin to notice a change in your skin tone.
Another skin-lightening remedy that can be used in eliminating all spots present on the skin surface. Turmeric helps in repairing the damage that is caused by discoloration, skin pigmentation, as well as fixed drug eruption or drug allergic eruptions in general.
It has also been known to be an effective remedy that can be used in eliminating age and sunspots.
- Prepare a thick paste using two teaspoons of lemon juice and a little turmeric powder
- The turmeric powder paste should be applied on the area that has spots
- Allow the turmeric paste to sit on affected area for at least five minutes
- Use lukewarm water to wash off this paste
Almonds come in handy in brightening and lightening your skin, in addition to eliminating the spots that have been caused from fixed drug eruption.
They have high vitamin E content, contain many healthy fats, and are rich in antioxidants. All these properties when combined will ensure that your skin goes back to its clear and flawless condition; the condition it was in before the drug eruptions happened.
Directions of use
- Collect ten almonds and proceed to soak them in water overnight
- In the morning, take each almond and carefully peel off its skin before proceeding to grind it
- From here, add a single teaspoon of sandalwood powder, and half a teaspoon of honey
- Combine all these ingredients
- Apply the almond paste to affected region
- Let the paste stay in place for twenty minutes before you can rinse it off
- The body mask should be used at least twice each week
You may also consider massaging your body with almond oil, as it will help to improve the complexion of your body helping eliminate all the scars left behind by the drug eruptions.
Oatmeal powder is ideal for any person looking for ways to exfoliate their skin. Oatmeal contains saponins, which function as natural skin cleaners.
This means that oatmeal can be applied on the neck, face, and body to eliminate all spots or dead skin cells that are present.
When used regularly, it will actually help to soften, repair, and rejuvenate your skin surface.
How to use it to relieve fixed drug eruption
- Measure half a cup of rolled oats and proceed to grind it
- Add four teaspoons of lime juice to the ground oats to create a paste
- Use the oatmeal paste to scrub the skin surface before using warm water to rinse your skin
You can use a clean cloth that has been soaked in warm water to rinse off your skin surface in the event that the body mask becomes messy. Try to apply the oatmeal paste at least three times each week.
Papaya contains enzymes, which help in evening out your skin tone while eliminating all spots that are present on your skin.
For instance, papain, is an enzyme that is contained in papaya, and one that assists in exfoliating the skin surface to remove all the dead skin cells that could be present.
Additionally, it comes with cleansing properties that will help clear your skin of impurities, while helping protect it from the damage that is caused by sun. You can use papayas into two main ways:
How to use it at home
- Apply the papaya pulp to your skin surface
- Allow the pulp to sit there for at least twenty minutes before you can rinse it
- Papaya pulp application should be applied at least three times each day
- Alternatively, you can grate a green papaya and add a small amount of lime juice to the grated papaya
- Take the combination and apply it on the spots present on your face before allowing it to sit on the face for fifteen minutes
- Rinse off and repeat application two times a week
For the spots that are present on the elbows and knees, and which were caused by drug eruptions, you can use the papaya skin to get rid of all of them.
10. Onion juice
The onion juice, which is normally made using a grater or juicer may be applied in a couple of ways:
What to do
- Obtain a cotton swab and immerse it into fresh onion juice, which you should then apply on the skin area that is affected
- Allow the onion juice to dry on its own
- Alternatively, combine a single teaspoon of onion juice and two teaspoons of honey. Apply this blend on the spotted area and leave it there for at least twenty minutes
Additional tips to note when dealing with fixed drug eruption
- Stay away from make-up products that come loaded with all types of chemicals
- If you notice that you have open wounds, sores, or lesions, ensure you do not exfoliate your skin
- You will need to apply an excellent moisturizer on your skin surface on a regular basis to prevent skin dryness
- Drink the recommended amount of water each day to ensure that your skin will remain hydrated
- Maintain a healthy diet that comprises of minerals and essential vitamins to maintain a clear and healthy skin
- Whenever you are outdoors, protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun by wearing sunscreen
- If you notice new spots begin to emerge, which are not related to the drug eruptions, you should have a dermatologist check them out to ensure that they have not been caused by a more serious medical issue
Treatment of fixed drug eruption
In FDE, the ultimate goal is to determine the offending medication, and discontinue its use immediately. Often, patients suffering from eruptions are ill patients, who have been prescribed serious medications, and who need this medication for their survival.
It is however important to ensure that all non-essential medication is limited, and as soon as the offending medication is identified, its use should be discontinued immediately. Having some knowledge on the medication that induces eruptions can help in establishing the drug behind the recent bout of eruptions.
A patient can choose to continue with treatment by means of morbilliform eruptions. If such an individual is being treated with antihistamines, the eruptions will often resolve on their own. Authorities are of the belief that exanthematous drug eruptions do not precede the emergence of severe reactions like TEN.
However, any patient with exanthematous drug eruptions will require regular monitoring for skin sloughing, membrane lesions, as well as blistering. The treatment provided for a drug eruption will depend on the type of reaction that is taking place.
Readers may also look at:
Below is a video on fixed drug reaction and other related drug reactions on the skin;
- Fixed drug Eruption on Penile Shaft
- Fixed drug eruption on Lips
- Fixed drug eruption histology
- Fixed drug eruption ibuprofen
- Fixed drug eruption on vagina lips, Labia Majora, Labia Minora
- Fixed drug reaction allergy
- What causes Fixed Drug Reaction on The Skin
- How to get rid of fixed drug reaction naturally Fast
- Treatment of fixed drug eruption